Music Engagement Program
First and foremost, the goal of Hope on a String is to engage the community in music as a form of expression to strengthen the Haitian people and sustain their hope. The Music Engagement Program will provide the community with:
- a music library (recordings and educational material)
- an instrument library
- basic music classes
- instrument instruction classes and workshops
- music mentorship
- a venue for impromptu and organized music performances
The positive outcomes of the Musical Engagement Program are limitless – from healing through the joy of music to increased self-efficacy and greater community unity.
Once we cultivate a dedicated group of participants in Hope on a String’s Music Engagement Program, we hope to build upon this growing sense of communal unity by implementing a resource center to provide a place where community members can pursue initiatives to improve their community. Members would be able to:
- take part in leadership development courses
- request development-related information and workshops
- reserve rooms for meetings of organized groups
- gain general support for community initiatives.
By making leadership coursework available to the community, we will be empowering the natural leaders in the community with skills and knowledge to turn their ideas for community improvement into action that can result in change.
The community development workshops will be coordinated in conjunction with Hope on a String's strategic partnerships with regionally-based NGOs that can provide technical assistance and targeted resources. The workshops will be offered on topics of community interest, which would include:
- Environmental conservation
- Sustainable agriculture
- Entrepreneurship/small business planning
- Labor organization
- Health and sanitation
- Community organizing